Michael Sole, born in the United Kingdom, 1985.
Since graduating with a BA in Fine Art from Wimbledon College of Art in 2008, Sole has gone on to exhibit in group and solo shows across England and France. In 2009 and 2010 he was awarded “Young Artist of the Year” by the Royal Society of Marine Artists for his work exhibited in the Mall Galleries, London. In 2013 he was awarded the ‘Arts Charitable Trust Award’ in the Royal Society of Marine Artists annual exhibition in London.
Interested in nature and the re-evaluation of its painterly tradition, Sole’s work explores painting as a process using his surrounding environment as a subject matter.
“The sea and the sky are fascinating to me, especially in extreme circumstances, storms etc. In painting I feel very strongly that energy must be met with energy. By this I mean big seas and powerful subject matter benefits from energetic, physical and confident painting which usually includes allowing the paint to have its own way, without using a brush. Dripping, pouring, throwing, lifting, shaking etc all add to these involuntary effects. Through these processes and techniques I hope to capture the power and atmosphere of the environment that I have placed myself into”.
Sole says he is striving to achieve a state of Involuntarylism a concept of the built up knowledge in the artists hand is permitted to come through in an instinctive approach to the application of the materials in this case they include oils, bitumen, PVA and emulsion.
Involuntarylism is the act of allowing the paint and gravity to create the painting itself. Involuntarylism is subject to the artist “puppeteering” the paint, using built up knowledge and past experience, to create the final painting. The artist’s involvement is purely to manipulate the paint and canvas so as to exaggerate as strongly as possible the resulting organic textures and marks. The idea of involuntarylism is allowing the paints characteristics to produce the marks, creating organic patterns, atmosphere and substantiation, allowing the painting to have a life of its own.
Michael Sole currently lives and works in Dorsett, United Kingdom.
- 2005-2008 BA (Honors) Fine Art: Painting Wimbledon College of Art, London
- 2004 Foundation in Art and Design Bournemouth Arts Institute, Bournemouth
- 2003 Gap Year
- 1998-2003 GCSE'S, AS and A-levels Blundell's School, Tiverton, Devon
- 2013 Energy, Light and Transparency MST Gallery, Bournemouth, Dorset
- 2013 Earth, Sea and Sky GX Gallery, London
- 2012 Solidarity of Colour GX Gallery, London
- 2011 Horizons – Home and Abroard MST Gallery, Bournemouth, Dorset
- 2011 Power, Light and Luminosity GX Gallery, London
- 2010 A Celebration of Marine Art Sea Pictures Gallery, Suffolk, England
- 2010 La Côte Auberge de la Croix du Pape, Eze, France
- 2010 La Côte d'Azur Antibes, France
- 2010 Le Mer et Le Ciel Les Vieux Murs, Antibes, France
- 2009 PACA Juan Les Pins, France
- 2009 Seascapes 23 Haven Rd, Canford Cliffs, Dorset
- 2008 Sea, Land and Sky The Pelly Gallery, Dorset
- 2006 Horizons Lyme Regis Boys Club, Dorset
- 2003 Gap Year Show Blundell's School, Tiverton, Devon
- 2003 Gap Year Show Axminster Arts Café, Axminster, Devon
- 2013 Royal Society of Marine Artists, Group Exhibition Mall Galleries, London
- 2013 Early beginnings, Group Exhibition Tinca Gallery, Bristol
- 2013 Summer Exhibition, Group Exhibition The Marle Gallery, Devon, England
- 2012 Elemental, Group Exhibition The Marle Gallery, Devon, England
- 2012 Affordable Art Fair, Group Exhibition Battersea, London
- 2011 Group Exhibition GX Gallery, London
- 2011 Spirit of the Coast, Group Exhibition Sea Pictures Gallery, Suffolk, England
- 2010 Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition, Group Exhibition Mall Galleries, London
- 2010 ArtMonaco'10, Group Exhibition Grimaldi Forum, Monaco
- 2009 Royal Society of Marine Artists Annual Exhibition, Group Exhibition Mall Galleries, London
- 2009 Dorset Perspective, Group Exhibition Mulberry Tree Gallery, Swanage, Dorset
- 2008 Coast, Group Exhibition Mulberry Tree Gallery, Swanage, Dorset
- 2008 Flock 2, Group Exhibition GX Gallery, London
- 2008 Wimbledon College of Art Summer Degree Show, Group Exhibition Wimbledon College of Art, London
- 2007 Misguided Souls, Group Exhibition Covent Garden, London
- 2007 Juicy Picnic, Group Exhibition Great Suffolk ST. Gallery, Southwark, London
Awards & Grants
- The Arts Club Charitable Trust Award Royal Society of Marine Artists, Mall Galleries, London 2013
- Evolver Prize 2012 (Runner up) Atkinson Gallery, Somerset, England 2012
- Young Artist of the Year Royal Society of Marine Artists, Mall Galleries, London 2010
- Young Artist of the Year Royal Society of Marine Artists, Mall Galleries, London 2009
- A Trip to Spain Blundell's School Art Award, England 2003
- Scholarship Blundell's School Scholarship, England 1998
- Private Collections UK